Friday, April 27, 2012

Cinnamon Cookies

I am lucky enough to be able to look after Grandma's recipe collection while I digitise them and as soon as I got them home I couldn't help myself, I had to make something. I let my husband have first choice from those that I had already typed up and he surprised me with by choosing the following recipe. I thought he would have gone for something chocolate, but no, he chose; Cinnamon Cookies.

These turned out wonderfully. Soft and a little chewy with a very subtle flavour. They were a different technique for making biscuits than I am used to as you roll balls of the mixture in a coating before baking, which, as we discovered, can give you very different flavours and textures depending on what you roll them in. A nice variation on this recipe is to use coconut and cocoa as the coating. 

Ingredients:

125g (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
185g (3/4 cup) castor sugar
125g (2/3 cup) brown sugar
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
185g (1 ½ cups) self-raising flour
125g (1 cup) ground nuts (almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Method:

Beat butter and sugars together until smoothly combined. Add egg yolks, milk and vanilla and beat well. Sift flour into mixture, then stir in until evenly mixed. Chill mixture, covered, until firm. Meanwhile, mix ground nuts with cinnamon.

Roll chilled dough into 2.5cm balls in clean cold hands. Roll balls in cinnamon-nut mixture until evenly coated. Place 5cm apart on lightly greased baking trays. Bake towards the top of a hot oven at 200°C for 10 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire cooling tray.

Makes approx. 60


No comments:

Post a Comment