Sunday, May 27, 2012

Marble Cake

It was my birthday yesterday and I was spoilt with lots of lovely presents including a couple for the kitchen. One handy little thing is this ipad kitchen stand and stylus so that I don't get messy hands all over my ipad. I love it!!

The other things were a set of 4 mini tart/quiche pans and a new huge round cake tin. I couldn't help myself, I just had to try something out so I decided to make a marble cake. Well, the cake tin was a success, and even though the icing ended up a little more pink than I wanted (little bit heavy handed with the dye... oops!), I think the cake was a success as well.

125g butter
¾ cup castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups S.R. Flour
Pinch salt
¾ cup milk
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons boiling water
Red colouring

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Cream butter and sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat eggs lightly and add to creamed mixture. Gradually fold in sifted flour and salt alternatively with milk. Divide mixture into 3 portions. To one add the cocoa blended with the boiling water. Add red colour to one. 


Grandma's recipe ended here so I did a bit of reading to try and work out how to make the marbling effect. This is what I found out: put spoonfuls of mixture into the cake tin alternating the colours. Then swirl a knife through the mixture. This will give the marbled effect. 

Bake for 60 mins in a moderate oven or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.




No comments:

Post a Comment