Monday, May 14, 2012

Pecan Pie

Pecan Pie is a dish that is often associated with special occasions, especially in the USA and is quite commonly served at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it hasn't got the same reputation here in Australia. Consequently it had been quite a few years since I had eaten pecan pie. I remember having it in a little country cafe when we went to visit my Grandparents once and thought that it was really tasty. I'd never contemplated making it before, but when I saw the recipe in Grandma's book I thought I might give it a go. Mother's day seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Grandma's recipe was just for the filling and so I did a quick google search for a shortcrust pastry recipe, however, the one I used wasn't perfect as it needed to be blind baked and then after it was then baked for an hour with the filling it became very crunchy. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't quite right. So I'm still on the hunt for the right pastry recipe and would love suggestions if anyone has them. As such, I'm only going to post the filling recipe today.



½ cup brown sugar
1 level tablespoon butter
1 cup corn syrup (substitute golden syrup)
3 eggs well beaten
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1 unbaked pie shell

Mix well, adding pecans last. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 325°F (160°C) for approximately 1 hour or until set.

Serve with cream and chopped pecans





No comments:

Post a Comment