Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

I was surprised by the results of this recipe. Usually when I cook I use lots of different herbs and spices to pack my food full of flavour. This recipe however was the complete opposite of that. It only used one spice and relied on the flavour from the capsicum and the cheese sauce. It was quite a nice meal but I think I would add a bit of garlic and Worcestershire sauce next time I made it though, just because I can't help myself.


4 green peppers (capsicums) (I used red ones and only 2 of them, as there's only 2 of us)
1 tablespoon oil
500g minced steak
1 onion chopped
½ teaspoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons raisins
30 grams butter
30 grams flour
2 cups milk
30 grams grated cheese

Part boil the peppers until slightly soft. Cut in half lengthways. Remove seeds.

Fry mince and onions in a pan. Add salt and raisins and chilli powder. Fill the peppers and hold together with toothpicks if necessary.

Make a cheese sauce by melting butter in a pan. Add flour and milk, stirring well over heat to thicken. Stir in the grated cheese. Place peppers in a baking dish. Pour sauce over and bake 180°C for half an hour (approx.)


The capsicums when they came out of the oven.



I served it with rice, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment