Sunday, August 12, 2012

Honey Chilli Chicken


I love honey chicken. Whenever we treat ourselves to some chinese takeaway, I always say I'm going to try something new but at the last moment change my mind and order honey chicken. The honey chicken I love isn't covered in mountains of batter, it is the one with the light crispy shell and the super moist chicken inside and I never thought it would be something that could be replicated at home. How wrong I was! This recipe tastes exactly like my favourite honey chicken but with the added flavours of chilli.

As I was typing this recipe up I realised that I forgot to put in a couple of the ingredients. Oops! I left the garlic, ginger and sesame seeds sitting on the bench. I can only imagine that those extra ingredients would add even more flavour to this awesome dish. Will just have to make it again now! 

6 chicken fillets, skin removed
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons cornflour
Salt and pepper
Sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Sliced root ginger
1 clove garlic, bruised
2 chillies, seeds removed and cut into fine strips
2 tablespoons honey
¼ teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
Oil for frying

Cut chicken fillets into strips. Place into a  bowl with unbeaten egg white. Add cornflour, salt, pepper, a few drops of oil and soy sauce and mix well. Heat oil with ginger and garlic in an electric wok. When hot remove garlic and ginger, add chicken (not all at once), cook until golden. Remove and drain on paper towel. Repeat until all chicken is cooked. Drain oil, leaving approximately 2 teaspoons in wok. Add chillies, cook for 30 seconds, then add honey and return chicken, toss until coated in honey. Serve with sesame seeds and accompany with fried egg noodles. 



No comments:

Post a Comment